Monday, December 20, 2010

I am Jack's jealous thoughts

Well, the other day I had something infuriating happen.  There I am in my room, just thinking of nothing in particular(actually trying to think of what to post), when my roommate bursts through the door with a shotgun in his hands.  Not just any scattergun, mind you, but a brand new Saiga 12 complete with two 20 round drums that he bought that same day.

Now, I have been wanting one of these things for a while, so having this happen is like seeing your best friend cruising around town with that girl you've been dying to ask out.  My only comfort is that I can keep my covetous thoughts at bay by knowing I'll get a chance to shoot this thing in the very near future.  


Of course, he's gonna want to customize this puppy to no end, but he's having a little trouble making up his mind about how to go about it. 
First and foremost, he wants to have a pistol grip on the thing (let's face it, that's the ONLY way to have a Kalashnikov rifle), but can't decide whether to get a professional trigger placement job, or opt out for the much cheaper (and DIY) Tapco stock kit.  I'll just illustrate the difference below.  Here's a pro trigger job:
and here's what the Tapco stock looks like:
Now, I think Tapco makes some decent products, but the most experience I've had with one of these is just in passing at a gun show.  In my opinion, AK-pattern weapons have quite a short length of pull on 'em to begin with, and I'm wondering if one of these stock kits would feel a little awkward after a while.  That, and I'm not the biggest fan of AR-15 style collapsible stocks either, but hey, his gun right?  In any case, the pistol grip is definitely a must have, so it's just gonna be an interesting choice to make. 

He's also looking at getting some kind of picatinny system for the thing sometime down the road, and there are plenty of good options for that.  My favorites being either the Chaos extended quad rail, or the Leapers UTG rail system.  If you aint into the quad rails, there are also some tri-rails made by the same manufacturers that look even better, if that is your persuasion.

All in all, the Saiga 12 is still one of those guns I consider to be a must have, and along with these modifications, is quite possibly the ultimate authority in zombie purging technology.  Bring on the hoards!

Update: I think we found a winner for the whole stock situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment