Monday, December 6, 2010

Down in Purgatory

A scene from the home front:
So, I'm obviously back from the folks'.  Just now getting the motivation to post something real again.

While I was with my family, I heard some interesting news.  The local shotgun range that the mother-figure used to work at, has changed hands.  Apparently not for the better, either.  Even though I was never any good at "shotgun sports", I had a real liking for this place, and it's high degree of professional level ranges.  If, I'm not mistaken, they also had lots of newbie-friendly classes and instructors.  It was nice, well-planned, very challenging, and also conveniently located in a 'spiritual limbo'.


The place hasn't been around for too long, but it seems a changing of the guard was necessary; whether for personal or financial reasons, I'll never know.  From what I hear, this has affected the operations there greatly.

It's a real pity, because the place used to have almost a zen-like quality about it.  Shooting out among the red rocks was very relaxing yet challenging endeavor.  The perfect backdrop for such a sport.  Well, I take that back.  Those cursed ceramic missiles are colored the perfect shade of red-orange to blend in with the scenery, if flung too far without dying.  Like I said, never was too good at it, but I always enjoyed it immensely.

Some of my favorite memories of my younger days were the times when I was learning to pluck miniature flying saucers out of the air with a sizable amount of birdshot.  Whether for a scouting activity, a church function, or simply killing time with the relatives, when you throw a 12 gauge into the mix, it's instant fun.

However, the place I grew up had a distinct lack of any place that could be called a "real" shooting range.  Not that I didn't enjoy the freedom of just shooting out in the local "shooting pit", but I wouldn't mind a place that would keep the safety-unconscious whiskey tangos at bay, and not have to worry about getting inadvertently shot at as much.  This place certainly fit that bill for a little while.

Anyways, I just wanted to lament the passing of an all too brief little joy that was in that area.  Just don't think there will be another like it in those parts for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment