Tuesday, April 26, 2011

But in communist China...shotgun steals YOU!

The Firearm Blog posted some interesting photos of the Chinese Semi automatic shotgun, the QBS 09.  It's mentioned that there isn't a whole lot of information about it, but they do have an interesting picture of it disassembled.
Now, I aint no expert, but I can't help but feel that when I look at it, the internals seem VERY familiar.  To me, it looks as though they essentially made a Benelli M4/1014 with a few parts gleaned from the Benelli M3, possibly to prevent some kind of patent infringement.  I may be no expert but, judging from the above picture, it is a gas operated weapon that uses twin piston rods that acutate the bolt; just like the M4/M1014.  The only difference here (other than the external styling) that I see, would be that instead of the two piston rods being actuated by independent pistons and gas tubes, the rods are connected to one large oversize piston that wraps around the magazine tube; the design of which looks very similar to the Benelli M3's bolt swivel assembly.  See part 095F in the picture below.
Also, while I was studying the picture of the QBS 09, the bolt head and bolt carrier look very similar to the Benelli M4's.  The trigger assembly also seems to be nearly directly lifted from the M3's own.  Although it's not a very high rez pic that we get of the commie gun, so more press may dispel this.

Now, as a disclaimer, I don't have much experience with the internals of many semi auto shotguns; other than a few Remington models, Saigas, and the range of Benellis, so perhaps the general stylings are similar to more than a few designs.  But I can't help but see some uncannily striking similarities in the parts I have pointed out.

Anyone be sure to let me know if I have made any oversights here.

Update: I just noticed that the folding stock, is a near perfect rip-off of the one used on variants of the Benelli M3 as well.  Also took note of the spring touching the bolt swivel assembly, so it is more than likely a recoil driven system (that and I haven't noticed any gas port apertures).  Interesting. 

2 comments: