Friday, April 1, 2011

Trying to replace the irreplaceable

Just read the article on the Firearm blog about the new Wilson Tactical 7.62x40mm cartridge.

Well there are sales for this type of thing, so I guess there's a demand there, but I'll never understand the concept of making a better version of 7.62x39 ammo.  I can understand the desire for a better cartridge in general, but I don't see how anyone could think that making a cartridge based on 7.62 Soviet would end up being much more than almost a novelty product.

Now, I can't knock the actual products, they are great, and of a very high quality.  Both .300 Whisper and .300 Blackout (and now also 7.62x40 WT) are better than decent rounds, but it's the core concept that I think is greatly flawed.  Trying to cut in on the most well entrenched market of a very widely available, extremely popular, and very cheap round, with a new, less common, and much more expensive product, just doesn't make sense to me at all.  Unless you manage to pull off winning a major government contract right off the bat, you're just gonna end up like .300 whisper: a niche product.

Besides, you make a good enough gun, and the 'ol Soviet round will work just fine.
Well, it is April fools day, so who knows, maybe Wilson Combat is just pulling my leg. 

2 comments:

  1. Weird. Whenever they sell a gun they will have a captive customer for the ammo. Not me though.

    The blue highlighting on the dark gray background is hard to read.

    ReplyDelete