Thursday, May 3, 2012

A small pinch full of 1000 tons of salt

So, people will often talk about their dreams on their blogs, but this gonna be one of those posts about my personal experiences that many will have a differing opinion on, and it's one that has a bit more of a personal relevance/reverence to me, so please refrain from judging too harshly.  That being said, if you don't want to put up with some possibly delusional and existential weirdness, don't bother reading.

So, I will more than occasionally suffer from bouts of some really weird deja-vu.  It's not a lack of sleep thing, or a tumor (I hope), but I sometimes have dreams that seem to play themselves out in real life.  Now, I'm not saying I'm some kind of prophet, oracle, seer, or even gifted, or what have you.  It's not something big like dreaming of nations ending, winning the lottery, or some kind of bull crap like that.  I just seem to have an occasional dream about myself, in which it will seem like I'm awake, and experiencing some kind of (usually) mundane life event, or reflecting on things that I've done in the past (in the perspective of the dreams), but are things that I don't remember doing in real life.

Anyways, the point being that after I have these dreams, I tend to try to remember them as long as possible.  However, it seems that it's a short time after I've stopped thinking about them, or nearly forgotten about them that they just kind of play out.  Sometimes it's a real shock to me.  I never really get used to it, but sometimes it's so vivid, that I've had more than a couple instances in which I knew the exact outcome of the situation.  Sometimes to the point that I had actually completed other people's sentences for them.

Now, this is not something I consider amazing, or even cool, because there are a few other events that I have had those kind of dreams of, that I get the same feelings about, but are things/events I'm very fond of.  I end up being left with that kind of nagging feeling like I know that they will happen, and I really don't want them to.  The events I'm dreading aren't anything terrible or awful (or even life changing), they're just massively disappointing.  But, it's gotten to the point that I'm constantly agonizing over them in bouts of anxiety, or something along those lines. 

Now, everyone is guaranteed to tell me that I'm gonna be fine, or that I'm just losing it, or freaking out, but it seems set in my mind that those events will happen, regardless. 

I'm a firm believer in freedom of choice, and in shaping our own destinies, but it seems no matter what I do, these events will always happen.  Therefore I'm left with this gut-wrenching agony of trying to figure out if there's any way I can avoid it; only to eventually stop thinking about it sometime in the future, and realize all too late that it's happening right in front of me.

Weird eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment