Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mummyless


Forgot to mention that on Saturday I finally managed to make my way downtown to visit The Leonardo for the first time.  I was privileged enough to take a nice young woman along and enjoy a good amount of time there.  From what I was told about the place I was always given the impression that it was like a mini-Exploratorium for Salt Lake, and well, it pretty much is (except it's in a building that's nowhere near as cool).  Overall it was pretty fun, with some interesting displays, though I will say that I was quite disappointed by a couple of somewhat minor things.

First off, the whole reason I went is that they were touting up and down on TV, radio, and billboards that they have a large new temporary exhibit on mummies.  Cool, right?  Well, I think it would have worked out better for them if they had the exhibit ready when their advertising said it was, so in the end , there were no mummies to be had.  However, I don't think this will stop me from going there again once they do have them on display.

Secondly, although there was some fun and interesting interactive displays, I think it could really benefit from a much larger number of them, as it seemed pretty sparse for such a large project.  As cool as those displays were, no only could they benefit from more of them, but almost all of them were focused on the arts, and I would have loved to see a lot more that are focused on science.  That, and it seemed a couple of the displays were unfinished or just weren't working.

To sum up, they are really on to something with this place, despite a few minor setbacks.  I think they really need to develop this place to include more interactive science exhibits, so that there are just as much of them as those that are focused on the arts.  I've already planned on going again next Saturday to see how the mummy exhibit goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment