Wednesday, February 13, 2013

the blammo blues

Was talking with the roomie yesterday, and he mentioned how he got a deal alert for a 50rd box of 9mm ammo that was going for the "great" price of $19.99.  WTF?  I remember just a couple months ago I could get a box of quality (ie. more expensive) 9mm for $12-13, but now 19.99 is a screaming deal for the cheap crap.  I hate this insane price gouging and ammo grabbing.  All I wanna do is stay fresh with three or four boxes a month, but doesn't look like that's happening, cause I can't find any ammo, and if I do, my wallet will get raped.  Yeah, I haven't been shooting since December.  I bet by the time I can afford/find ammo again, I'll  be so out of practice that I'll shoot my eye out.
But all is not lost!
For my other addiction has recently been satisfied again by going on another book binge that will surely give me some kind of arbor poisoning by the time I'm done.  This is because I had forgotten about the feature on Amazon that lets me buy used books from other retailers.  So, I ended up basting away all my cash on a myriad of new (to me) books, most of them were still in very good condition and are hardbacks to boot!  The only problem now is the ever present shipping fees that are far more expensive than the books. Here's a snippet of my cart, that snapped me back to reality and I reduced my order to about $65.
Yeah, I got a bit carried away there.  After trimming down the list to an appropriate price (almost in half), here's the list of stuff I got (with abbreviated titles where appropriate):

"My Tank Is Fight" by Zach Parsons
"After The revolution: Profiles In American Culture" by Joseph Ellis
Soldiers Of God: With Islamic Warriors in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Robert D. Kaplan
"Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein (yup.  never read it before)
"Almost America: From the Colonists To Clinton: A What If history of the US" by Steve Tally
"Aftermath" by Charles Sheffield
"Grumman F-14 Tomcat" by Lindsay Peacock (I used to have this book, and I think I have everything else this guy has written)
"Love My Rifle More Than You: Young and Female in the US Army" by Kayla Williams
"Parliament of Whores" by P.J. O'Rourke
"The Charm School" by Nelson DeMille
"Are We Rome? The Fall of an Empire and the Fate of America" by Cullen Murphy
"He Who Dares" by Michael Kennedy
"The Action Hero's Handbook" by David Borgenicht
"American Spartans" By James Warren
"Leviathan on the Right" by Michael Tanner
"The Ends of the Earth" by Robert Kaplan

I also took recent notice that in conversations about Cormac McCarthy's "The Road", people have an understandably hard time with that novel's grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure, which by all accounts are horrible.  The story is an instant classic, very emotional, and engrossing, but difficult to get into for the average reader.  So, for those people, I medically recommend the film adaptation for your cinematic well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment