Wednesday, March 6, 2013

sleazy magazines

Finally got those dang 9mm CZ-75 mags in the mail!  Well, after learning the hard way that they are coated in a grease that really stings the eyes, I decided to make quick comparison between them and the stock IMI (Tanfoglio) mags.  The IMI mag is on the left with the red follower, and the CZ mag will always be on the right.
Immediately noticeable is that the IMI mag is slightly taller than the CZ, which also has some curious holes cut into the front of the mag
As you can see, the Jericho (Tanfoglio) mags have a symmetrical notches on either side for the mag release, whereas the notches for the mag release on the CZ mag are not.  Perhaps not as noticeable, is that they are of a different shape, size, and have a slightly different placement (ie. lower) as those on the Jericho's.


The Jericho mags also have a notch just before the feed lips, when the CZ mags don't, and I'm wondering if these will have an effect on the actuation of the slide release after the last shot fires.

After looking at their physical differences, I went on toy with them a bit to see how they do in the Jericho.  I noticed that the CZ mags are not as easy to seat in the magwell as the Jericho mags, requiring a good slap or two in order to make sure it locks into place.  When loaded, they also have a much tighter fit as evidenced by the following comparison.  First, the IMI mag:
note the amount of space between the baseplate fo the IMI factory mag and the magwell
Now the CZ:
Jeez, that's a tight fit!
I continued to experiment by loading a few snap caps into the CZ mag and cycling the action.  All signs point to a flawless operation, but I'll wait until I go to the range for a final verdict.  Also, the Jericho has a notoriously east to actuate slide stop, so I can't reliably verify how it will perform with just the snap caps.

Now, since I can't seem to find a box of ammo at non-wallet-raping prices, I'll have to wait till I can afford a few boxes of real ammo to see how they preform at the range.

No comments:

Post a Comment