Monday, April 29, 2013

Cartridge conundrums

It's a shame.  I absolutely love my Jericho, but it really -and I mean REALLY- hates steel cased ammunition.    Bad.  Naturally, the Roomie and my boss and their H und K-loving kind is laughing at this situation.

Being the cheap-shot that I am, steel cased TUL was the only thing I had off hand to shoot with when I first fired the gun.  I put about 200 rounds through the thing and just watched it jam and jam again.  Lots of different little failures were going on: failures to feed, stovepiping, slide not seating properly.  I thought forever, wondering if there was a problem with the magazines, the spring, if I overlooked something while cleaning, or if the extractor had issues.

However, after a second trip to the range just a few days later (without cleaning the gun either), I loaded up with about 250 rounds of cheap brass cased ammo of various brands, and I had almost no malfunctions at all.

Granted, this problem is solely my fault for not reading up on what food this baby likes before buying it, but I still find it a bit disappointing.  Now, I'm just curious though.  I'm wondering if I got a better extractor and an aftermarket barrel, if it would make my gun more agreeable to the steel stuff.  I'm gonna have to do a little research to see if there are any modifications I can do to make it more agreeable to the steel.  In the end, I'm still using nothing but the good stuff for defense, and have plenty of mags loaded with Hydra-Shok; but all I want is to be able to do some cheap target practice in the meantime.

Also, it would be nice if I could find some ammo to try out my CZ mags that I got for 'em.


No comments:

Post a Comment