Monday, April 1, 2013

What am I doing here?

So, a few months back, my Mom got in touch with me saying that an acquaintance of hers was thinking of buying a gun for concealed carry.  From what I recall the woman wasn't completely new to shooting, but was still a new-er shooter, as she was asking for help on what kind of gun to buy.  She contacted my Mom for help, who in turn asked for my input (kind of redundant since my Mom's advice was nearly the same).  I remember throwing all the usual advice out there, such as:

- Feel free to take other's advice, but ultimately it's your choice, get what feels right to you.
- Don't take anyone's word for it, always try it before you buy it.
- If you're looking for a gun to keep around the house, just get a rifle.  If you're truly going to be concealing, get something compact and above all, lightweight.
- Also, if you're concealing, make sure you get a proper holster for the job, that completely covers the trigger and guard.
- Remember: snub nose revolvers kick much more, making them less pleasant to practice with, they don't carry as many rounds as most automatics, and for most people, they're harder to be proficient with.

So, a while later my Mom got in touch with me, and mentioned what her friend had chosen, and said to buckle up for some disappointing news.  Against all input, she chose a snub nose, featherweight .38 revolver.  Never even test fired it as far as I know.  Total facepalm moment.


Now, I will say that a revolver isn't a bad option, but why would you go for one of those when you could get something that has a larger magazine, is faster to reload (for the average shooter), has much more pleasant and tolerable recoil, and costs about the same?  I just don't get it.

To me it's like shelling out $400 for an Apple iphone 64GB, when you could have gotten a Samsung Galaxy SII (that already has better hardware) for $100, then simply get a 64GB memory card for $50.  Just wasting money because of ignorance.

Perhaps there is much more to the story than what met my ear, so maybe I'm just being overly sensitive and perhaps she does love practicing with those annoying little revolvers.  Perhaps I was totally in the wrong (which I would be happy to hear that), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed when I initially heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment