Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Speaking of shai halud

Before the awesomeness of the movie Dune was released on the unsuspecting public, it was in what many filmmakers like to call "development hell."  The film was initially given to Alejandro Jodorowsky to direct.  His mission statement was as follows: "I did not want to respect the novel, I wanted to recreate it. For me Dune did not belong to Herbert as Don Quixote did not belong to Cervantes, nor Edipo with Esquilo."   Thank goodness they got David Lynch to do it instead.  The original story was weird and revolutionary on it's own.  I honestly think I may have been pissed after seeing Jodorowsky's version of the film.  See the trailer below for more evidence of talentless hackery.



The only reason I mention all of this is because I find 'behind the scenes' and unfinished film projects to be very fascinating, and as the trailer above seems imply, there is to be a new documentary about Jodorowsky's Dune that never was.  Seems like it'll be interesting on the film making side, but nearly infuriating if you actually like the novel (or other screen adaptations). 

No comments:

Post a Comment