Friday, November 30, 2012

Locutus of none

Sometimes I forget things.  Sometimes I forget important things.  Sometimes people are shocked at the things I forget.  Take yesterday for example.  I completely forgot that I had bought a ticket (along with the rest of the systems staff) to go see the restored and remastered Star Trek The Next Generation Season 2 episodes "Q Who" and "Measure of a Man" featured at the local Cinemark Theatre. 

It was simultaneously better and yet not as good as I thought they would be, if that makes sense.  It was awesome to see everything in high-def on the big screen.  It almost gave me the feeling like I was watching it for the first time.  However, from what I was told beforehand, I was under the impression that the special effects would be of a much higher quality, which they were far from.  I was also mistakenly led to believe they would have it in wide screen, which also is apparently not the case.  Somewhat disappointing, but still good stuff, and watching them again only reinforces my hardcore trekkie mentality.

Also what struck me as the show ended, was that it's only a few short days until the decommissioning ceremony for the real USS Enterprise.  It's kind of depressing knowing that there's not gonna be any more U.S.S. Enterprise on Star Trek (at least on TV), the Enterprise Space Shuttle Orbiter has already been damaged and is in disrepair, and now the first and last of the great class of warships of her name will be scrapped and gone in a short amount of time.  It's the end of an era, and truly the worst of both worlds.

P.S.  Note to the U.S. Navy and whoever names their warships: stop naming your warships after douche-bag politicians and give 'em the traditional kick-ass names you used to treasure, like Enterprise, Long Beach, Hornet, Ranger, Cyclops, Intrepid, Lexington, Coral Sea, or Reprisal (that last one is especially cool).  Heck, naming them after admiralty or other beneficial Americans that have already had ships named after them that aren't being used anymore would be good too, because then you can use names like Fletcher, Watson, Cogswell, Ingersoll, De Haven, and Gatling (oh yeah!).
A pic of the USS Cyclops, circa 1911.  (ripped from wikipedia)
Oh, here's an idea: the USS Cthulhu!  Now that's an awesome name for a ship.  Think about it.  Who in the hell would ever want to challenge a ship with a name like that?  Seriously Navy, you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment