Friday, May 10, 2013

Sluething

Since I didn't take a lunch today, I didn't get to stop by the apartment. When the roomie came back from his lunch break, he was telling me about a package I received.  Not just any package, but one that was in a monitor box.  "Well, that's different."  I thought.  I haven't ordered anything recently, nor have I been expecting anything to arrive, and it's not my birthday or anything.  Naturally, this knowledge ended up driving me crazy for the rest of the day, with mind running in circles of what it could be.

Then my roomie said he was initially confused because the package had my first name and our address, but had a different last name on the parcel that he didn't recognize right away.  Thankfully, he knew that a long time ago, I did have other aliases I went by, this being one of them.
This mystery package had better not end up like this.
This is the part that somewhat alarmed me, as I haven't gone by that name in a long time, nor have I used it for anything relating to billing/shipping/legal docs, but a good number of people I'm on less than good terms with know me by that name, so I began running down the threat board.  Let's see:
  • I know my bank account is okay, cause I haven't had any odd/unplanned charges to my card
  • I haven't received any threatening letters or messages of any kind
  • the package doesn't have any exposed wires, singe marks, oil spots, and it aint ticking
  • I don't have any major outstanding debts to speak of
  • I haven't made any major enemies that I'm aware of recently
  • haven't heard from the Latvian mafia in decades, so I doubt it's them
Wow.  I still can't figure it out.  So, I'm thinking of running to the local defense equipment retailer, and see if I can get a full EOD and MOP suit for handling this bad boy.  Ah, screw it.  I'm too poor to afford all that crap.  looks like I'll be diffusing this bomb redneck style.

Okay, now that I'm home, let's see what this baby looks like.
Well, it looks like a monitor...but taking a quick peek at the sender's address revealed that it was from the Tennessee mafia (extended family).  Let's crack it open.
Ah ha!  An HO scale train set.  Looks vintage, too.  Nice to know the rest of my family think I need a new hobby as well.  J/K!  I'm kinda ticked to see this stuff.

When I was younger, I was crazy about trains.  Some of the most fun times I spent with my dad in my formative years, were just us sitting around tinkering with HO scale train sets.  Over the years, I've gradually become less interested in them as I used to be, but this doesn't stop me from getting some heartwarming nostalgia while looking at these things, and planning on how I can have fun with 'em now.  It's also a bit funny to me, because these things are like cockroaches.  It seems like no matter where I go or what I do, somebody always seems to have a train set packed away somewhere, and will eventually offer it to me.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that these babies were well taken care of, some of which look to be a little older than I thought.  I'll have to set some time aside to think of what kinda setup I can get going with these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment