Friday, April 5, 2013

The search for stuff (more money)

Well, thanks to a number of games I play, along with a bunch more I discovered because of Steam Greenlight, I am in the market for a much better joystick.  The logitech one I have now has served me quite well for more casual or arcade-ish type games like BF1942 and BF2 (heck, did pretty well in IL-2 as well), but it just doesn't cut it any more for the more detailed stuff like Strike fighters 2, LO:MAC, and the myriad of others I'm wanting to try in the near future.
My current setup.  Reliable, but pretty basic.
The problem is that there is a serious dirth of good, mid-range control sticks out there.  There's simply cheap ones for under $50 (like my current one), an then there are the mega-expensive pro models that are $300-500 a pop.  As far as mid range models (the $100-150 range, that includes a throttle control) goes, there are only two choices, and they are both made by the same company (saitek/mad catz) and are simply different variants of each other.  Though they seem to be of a high quality, I am rather frustrated by their styling and button layout.
I really like the throttle control on it, but I hate the ergo and button layout of the  actual control stick.

Why in the world is there no mid-range priced options that have a simple, realistic looking type control stick?  I mean, I'm not looking for one made of aircraft grade aluminum or carbon fiber, or officially licensed by the air force or anything like that.  I just want something affordable ($100-200), that has a rudder axis, a dual throttle piece to go with it, and the styling and button layout like so:

Actual control stick for the AV-8B+

No comments:

Post a Comment