Tuesday, April 2, 2013

while I was gone

So, over the weekend I forgot to mention that I made a quick trip to the local zoo with the roomie, J and his kid.  It's been a while since I had been there, and we picked perhaps the worst time to go, as most of the place was undergoing renovations.  Still had a great time, but like the unprepared fool I am, I forgot to take a camera with me, so no snapshots of that.

One thing that shocks me when I go there, is just how close tigers and wolves are to their domesticated counterparts.  On reflection of this fact, we practically kicked ourselves for not bringing a laser pointer there.  Just imagine a giant 200 lb feline death machine tearing around it's cage like a house cat while trying chase after one of those!

I imagine it to be a lot like this
In other news, I'm finally stopping my nearly two and a half month hiatus from writing that cursed short story that I was having trouble with.  I really needed a fresh pair of eyes going into it, and that wasn't going to happen with my mind consumed with all the stuff I had already written.

The only bad part of this, was that when I tried to go back to proofread what I'd written, I found that over half of my story was somehow deleted, which sent me into a near blood-rage mode for a minute, until I remembered where I had saved another copy.  I'm still a bit jaded by it, considering that I know I've made improvements and added more to that portion of the story after I had saved that particular backup, so I'm sure those bits will forever be lost to the non-functioning parts of my memory.

In the meantime, I'm rediscovering the joy of simultaneously writing the last bits of the story while fine tuning the grammar and sentence structure of the existing parts to enhance readability (wow, maybe I should try that with the blog sometime?).  It proved so hard to write the portion right before the climax of the story, as I really didn't want a whole lot to happen in the world around my character.  I was hoping for more to be going on in his mind as opposed to around him, but due to a lack of imagination on my part, it's not going to end up that way, which I found a bit disappointing  but kind of inevitable.  We'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment