Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Things I don't understand

Hooray!  It's just what everyone wanted!  Another rant with barely any point.  Perhaps this is just another one of my idiotic thoughts, but this is something that honestly drives me freaking nuts every time I hear the phrase/label uttered.

A while back I stumbled upon a few feminist/female issues bloggers whose goal was to (supposedly) help women feel better about their looks and accept their bodies as being beautiful.  That being said, why the hell do these very same people insist on calling models who are women that don't look like starving 13 year old boys with visible rib-cages, "plus-size models"?  If your goal is to help women get past all these labels society is pressing on them, and to devalue the strict (and borderline unhealthy) definition of what 'beauty' is to the mainstream, then why the flying fudgesicle of crap are you still making a concerted effort to differentiate between a 'plus-size model' and a 'model'?

Call me crazy, but I don't see why you have to call the people in that profession anything other than a model. You're simply hurting your own cause, by subconsciously subverting your goal (and giving in to the currently slanted standard).  It reinforces in the minds of those who read you that these people should still be differentiated somehow, that there should be a different standard for them.  I just find that more than a bit faulty and counter-productive.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment