Friday, October 11, 2013

1911. The preferred choice

So I saw via Say Uncle, a really interesting article done by shooting illustrated on The right gun for women, by women.  I like how it's done in the same way that Top Gear would have done a car test years ago.  Semi-scientific, with real-world people instead of gold cup pro shooters.

What's really interesting to me, is that it finally puts to rest the whole male-idiot induced notion of, "Get her a snub-nose .38!" type of thinking, which many (including myself) have been criticizing for years.  It wasn't even listed as a preferred gun for any application by any of the participants.

Not only that, but I also noticed that a majority of the test participants also favored the 1911 as a home defense pistol, which is something that I've been saying for a while.  In my experience, I've noticed that a lot of women would be well suited to liking the 1911, and that it would be a great choice as an all round gun for women, even for new shooters.  Heck, if I remember correctly, I believe that was the first handgun I remember being taught how to fire as well, and I remember to this day how natural it felt in the hands, and how manageable the recoil actually was.
Sometimes, you just can't beat the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment