Wednesday, July 25, 2012

compounded celebration

So for Utahans, the 24th of July is a holiday that is just as big as Independence Day.  Why?  Well, to put it simply we're celebrating that we stuck it to the man by escaping the tyranny of a place that supposedly cherished the fact that it exists solely because it fought for independence from another country's tyranny, all for the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness; that is, unless it's for those dang Mormons.

However, this is lost on some people, and a surprising amount of people I know seem to not like, or not understand the point of the holiday.  I feel sorry for 'em.  To me, not getting the spirit (or point) of the 24th is like not understanding the point of Independence Day either.

On a somewhat unrelated note, this weekend the Deer Valley Music Festival will be featuring a rendition of the 1812 overture complete with actual cannons (the way it should be done).  I'd really like to go, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to yet.  Either way, I can't really think of the 1812 overture without thinking of (and laughing at) this excellent Calvin and Hobbes comic.

click the pic to enbiggen
Update:  Okay, I realize this may seem like it was in bad taste, due to recent events and all.  Please understand this was entirely unintentional.  Despite my morbid sense of humor, I'm not that big of a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment