Thursday, April 28, 2011

Shooting range sans-etiquette

On a roll today.  Not a good one, either.  So be prepared for another reeeeeally long rant, because Thursday seems insistent on being full of fail.

There's a range nearby that some friends and I occasionally visit.  I like it because it has a very friendly, relaxed, and responsible atmosphere; or at least, it used to.  Heck, after this, I think I've lost my love for ranges almost entirely.
An example of common range safety rules

See, we actually just got back from a short excursion to that same place.  We decided to have fun with the whole range of toys; rifles, shotguns, and pistols.  So we go up, check in, pay up, and make a point of asking about their rules (I visit alot of local ranges and the rules vary widely from place to place around here).  The couple old guys at the desk seem to not even want to bother with us, but they gave a grunting noise that all the rules are posted by the range.  So, we gave 'em a look and began setting up.  We were ready.  Eager to test our latest accessories and additions, we began shooting when commence fire was given.  Heaven forbid it be that easy though...



I was particularly trying to improve my speed while being there (not rock 'n roll, just quicker follow-up shots).  Not a couple minutes later, there was crabby guy #1 yelling up a storm about how we needed to obey the rules or be banned.
"Whoa," I asked, "what's wrong here?"
"You can only shoot once every three seconds, and you are only allowed to have ten rounds per magazine"
"Sorry 'bout that, but that wasn't listed on your rule board."
"Well now you know" he barks, then immediately shuffles off.
my friend also noted, "I was here last week and I don't remember there being a 3 sec. rule.  There were guys with class three guns here earlier."
"I guess this range is owned by Clinton or something"
A little embarrassed, we immediately changed our SOP and just went back at it.

After we had expended our small supply of ammo, we decided to hit up the shotgun range, and test out my roomie's recently upgraded Saiga.  Before going, we notified crabby guy #2 that we'd be going there (since no one was out there by that time).  Sure enough, like clockwork, after less than one mag's worth of firing, we hear crabby guy #2 yelling at us from a distance.  He's screaming at us saying he'll ban us if we keep firing rifles at the shotgun range.  Huh-what?  My roomie ends up having to go over and explain to him that the gun he's using IS in fact a shotgun, and that we only intended to shoot scatter-guns there.

I begin to get a little annoyed and quip, "Why do these guys have to automatically assume we are trying to be a bunch of pricks here?  I understand his newfangled contraption is more than unorthodox, but really?  If we say we're going to shoot some shotties that's probably what we intend to do."  Whatever.

We move on to our last bit of bludgeoned fun with the pistols.  When we got there, a 'clear range' was in effect, so, while my friends were setting up the paper, I decided to retreat a ways from the line to load some mags.  Being about 6-7 yards away, with the nearest firearm further away than that, I begin loading.  Another patron than asks me to stop.  Look, I understand not fiddling with guns and/or ammo while in front or near the 'thin red line', but I was well back from there, and was obviously unarmed.  Well, just to be polite, I stop rather that make my point, as the time was almost up anyways.

We notice during shooting that there's also a nice young woman there learning the sport with an instructor.  Not to be rude, but she was someone who was obviously trying to overcome some recent trauma while at the same time as having a bit of trepidation to being new to lethal weapons. As we begin leaving, we hear crabby guy #1 make a return by announcing the range is closing.  We were able to pick up and head to the car pretty quick, but the girl and her instructor had a LOT more gear, and took them just a couple minutes longer.  This wasn't good enough for crabby guy #1, and he started to yell again, and said that if they don't hurry up, he'll lock 'em in the compound.  The instructor (a really good one, btw), kindly tried to reply, but instead of listening, crabby guy got in his truck and sped over to lock the gate, faster than we could even get over there.  Way to go, buddy.  You are another brick in the wall that continues alienate new shooters from the gun culture, while at the same time as bullying a woman who is new to the sport.

Needless to say, I don't think I'll go there anymore.  I desperately wish I had told the guy off, and got banned from there.  Never before in my life have I had the desire to beat the shit out of an old guy before, but there was my first. I don't ever want to go back to that or any other range for that matter, because it seems as though this treatment from fudd range masters is becoming the norm around here.  Frankly, I think I'd rather be a redneck wannabe and just go to the nearest BLM land where it's a bit more welcoming and no one treats me like some young uneducated punk.

It begs me to ask the question, is it just me?  This area?  What the heck is going on around here?  What happened to the good old days when you could just enjoy an evening at the range? 

In the meantime, if you ever have someone suggest to go to the Bountiful Lyon's Club, tell them to either piss off, or if you do go, totally tell off those crabby assholes and get yourself kicked out and banned.  Screw those bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment