Monday, April 11, 2011

FMG9? ....or not.

I enjoy watching Sons Of Guns, but I find it more than a little hilarious that they have to shamelessly rip off Magpul's FMG9 concept. It was touted around about five years ago, and being "pros" in the gunsmithing industry, they HAD to have heard of Magpul and their gun, but they totally billed it as their own idea.  Heck, if I aint mistaken, Magpul wasn't even the first to come up with the notion.  When they introduced the idea of building a flashlight gun on the show, they even used an airsoft replica of the FMG9 as an example.  Case in point, here's a pic of the FMG9:
High tech and yet simple.  A Glock18 within a folding polymer case.
...and here's the "pellet gun" that they bought to base their idea on:
Yeah, blatant wannabes.

I have to hand it to Red Jacket though, they did come up with a cool gun using a MAC11 as the foundation, within a steel case, and they even included a neat little survival kit in the stock.  Albeit, I'm sure it's quite a bit heavier (if not almost three times as heavy) than the FMF9, considering the larger size and the materials they used.  That, and it looked nowhere near as quick to deploy.  Still, I'd probably buy one.

Here's a grainy screencap of their final product:
Update:  Another thing that makes me laugh about the Discovery channel in general, is their complete lack of detail.  When they were introducing the history of the MG42 machine gun, they showed nothing but MG34 footage.  You hardly ever see that kind of flub on the History channel.  Dang, am I one heck of a nitpicking nerd or what?

On a related note, I had a young woman ask me not too long ago, how in the world I am still single.  There's your answer, right above.

1 comment: