Thursday, April 14, 2011

That's foreign flicks, Mr. Connery...

I thought I'd be a lot busier today, but I guess I have nothing better to do than just watching a bunch of non-English speaking films.  I just wrapped up watching Battle Royale, which I thought was excellent.  had the perfect combo of action, cheeky humor, cheesy drama, gore (excelsior!), and allegories to keep me entertained.  Wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but man, what a movie.  I easily see why this has become a cult hit. 
Just for randomness' sake here's a short list of some other foreign films I thought were worthy of a little praise:

Night Watch - vi govoriti pa-ruski?  This one's been described like 'Blade meets The Matrix meets Buffy', but I say it's has it's own style.  Has a great ending, too.
9 Rota - Another Russian film.  Kinda like a Soviet version of Black Hawk Down.  It just came out with an English dub recently, but I watched (and preferred) an old subtitled copy a few years back.
The Good The Bad The Weird - Everyone needs to watch this one.  If fact, if you don't like this movie, I'm not sure if I like you...
Kung Fu Hustle - Chinese kung fu mixed up with slapstick humor that makes even britcoms seem refined.  Hilarious!
Oldboy - Grittiest.  Action.  Ever.  A Korean tale of revenge that's not for the faint of heart, but it's one of my favorites.
OSS 117: Lost in Rio - No One Lives Forever meets Austin Powers, except with class.  Who'd a thought the French could make a good (and funny) movie?
Let The Right One In - Swedish film in which a young boy meets what he thinks is a young girl.  Blood-loss related deaths ensue.  Also not for the faint of heart.

On an unrelated note, this is a big occasion.  It's my 147th post!  Woo Hoo!  What a milestone.  Didn't think I'd last this long myself.  Granted, I aint no triple-A blogger like those on the left-hand side bar, but hey, I'm still happy with it.  One hundred and forty seven baby, yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment