Wednesday, June 6, 2012

boomstick bemusings

Oh, router firmware, why must you cake out after being updated?  I think that should be a sufficient explanation as to why I have not been posting in a while.  Anyways, on to the topic of the day.

You know, I love guns.  Love 'em.  However, it seems I'm turning into one of those "rusty old addicts."  What do I mean by that?  Well, I seem to have a fascination with firearms that are of an antique status, that are unique, or just plain odd.  I've always been attracted to things that are not only brutally functional, but have a history to them as well.  For example, I have no desire whatsoever for any AR-15 style rifle*, a bullpup style weapon, or any kind of fantastic plastic pistol (well, except maybe the PMR 30). 

All my friends are of the persuasion that they all need the latest and greatest, all of them chasing after ARs, Glocks, or HKs, whereas I would gladly take something like an M1917 .45 revolver over a Smith and Wesson M&P anytime.  No one else I know of seems to share this same attitude and they tend to mock me for it from time to time.

What is it that persuades me to choose an M1 Carbine over a KRISS .45, or my Jericho 941 over an XDM?  Simple.  It's the same reason I argued with my boss about the Winchester 1897 vs. a Mossberg 590.  There is almost a 0 difference in capability; one is just newer (and maybe a bit lighter) than the other.

*Okay, I'd toatally love to build a bunch of 'em, but I'm not all that stoked to own one, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment