Wednesday, June 26, 2013

on fame

When we were kids, we all aspired to do things that were great.  You go around to any elementary school and ask kids what they want to be when they grow up, and I'm sure you'll still get all the stereotypical answers like: firefighter, police officer, actor, singer, etc, etc.  basically, they follow one or more of three basic desires: money, fame and glory.

Now I'm no stranger to daydreams, and I'll on occasion think of what it would be like to be more well off or reputable, greatness (of a sort) and money are fine things to aspire for.  However, I never understood (even as a child) was the desire for fame.  Fast forward to today, and as an adult, I'll still hear people lament their lives and wish to be the new Zuckerburg, Gates, or Jobs.  If I remotely respect that person, I have to remind them that I hold such respect for them, and that the respect of others is far more desirable to me than money, power, or even being liked.

Anyways, I came across a nice quote from Orde Wingate and I decided to change my status to it: "Popularity is a sign of weakness."

No comments:

Post a Comment