Tuesday, June 11, 2013

San Diego still dominates market share

So the big news locally is that Salt Lake City will be hosting another comic con in September.  As cool as that idea is, I have this thing in the back of my mind that causes me to have no desire to go at all.  Why, you ask?  Because I had the misfortune of stopping in on one a few years back, and I was none too impressed.  I think the only reason everyone is getting riled up this year, is because they announced that Johnathan Frakes is coming, it really marks the first time they've managed to get anyone who's more than a nobody to come to it.  I'll admit I like the guy, but not enough to pay real money to attend this failing shindig.

Yep.  That's the Riker we all know and love.
Now let's fast forward to today, and see how they've improved the venue: hmmmm let's see here, it's not done by the same people that do ANY other good comic con, and for the most part, there are no interesting guests, no cool vendors, and no real activities other than a massive LAN full of fat, sweaty otakus not unlike myself.
Our comic con could certainly use a lot more cunning head wear...
That, and I have a real issue with the cosplayers that show up here.  They all seem to be the variety that all dress up as some disturbing lolita anime character that no one with good sense (or taste) would be a fan of, and the personalities of these gymboids are all about as creepy and cardboard as their characters and costumes.   That, and for me, the whole joy of comic cons are for the show panels, show announcements, etc, which they have never had, so there's just no point for me.
It's totally the beard...and maybe the pleats.

No comments:

Post a Comment