Monday, November 8, 2021

Again, it is the legend

John Moses Browning is the Mormon that will never die, as his guns will live on forever.  Even if you aren't into guns, or even know who he is, you likely have either heard of some of the things he invented, or were affected by them in some way, shape, or form. Technically, he died before he could finish the design of the Hi-Power, and the work was continued by his protege in Belgium just before World War 2 broke out. 

Since then it's seen service in almost all the free (and not free) world, being the standard sidearm of the militaries  of Great Britain, Canada, Australia, Belgium, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Nazi Germany :(, India, Greece, Denmark, and Austria just to name a few. 

Oh so pretty.

Bowning HPs are not exactly hard to find or expensive, but they do have a bewildering amount of variations and can sometimes be in a condition that are a little worse for wear. Even then, some do have a few annoying features to modern shooters and is not quite as customizeable as newer guns.  

So, it's just nice to see that Springfield Armory is bringing back the Browning Hi-Power in a big way.  Glad to see Springfield Armory has poured on all the features that I like into it, you got the rounded hammer, no magazine safety, improved sights (IMO), and even increased capacity mags. Bonus video from the firearm blog on the thing, too.

I mean, it IS really darn nice.

Overall, they did an amazing job, but I do have a couple major gripes. I do think they should have included a full beaver-tail for it, but that would add to the price and weight. Being tight on money, I'm not likely to get one of these anytime soon, as it also MSRPs for about $700 (WTF?!). So yeah, not at the top of my list of essential guns when I'm broke. Lastly, EAA already did this ages ago and it has pretty much all the same features, retails fantastically cheaper (MSRP $528), and likely has a higher quality. 

Slap some wood grips on there, and it's even better.

However, if I ever find myself with all the other guns I need, and have some change burning a hole in my pocket, I'll have to jump on the EAA model, because most of Springfield's lineup has not impressed me much in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment