Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The Shepherd

Some time ago, in fact, right at the time I sopped writing on the blog last around 2014, my brother had come up to visit me and was staying with me for about a week or so. By way of a gift from our mother, we had an opportunity to go on a check flight with a local instructor in a Cessna for an hour or two. The flight itself was great, as is any flight time I get theses days, but the real treat happened after we landed. 

As we were gabbing with the instructor, somebody popped their head in the door informing us that the Vampire was outside and would be taking off soon. I was immediately shocked by it, asking "Wait a sec. A vampire? Here? Really?" After ensuring that I was informed correctly, we all immediately rushed out of the room to the flight line to see her. As soon as we were out of the hangar, we saw her sitting there on the tarmac, and what a gorgeous sight she was.

When I first saw her, she still had the old camo livery. She has since been repainted. Photo source.

For those not in the know, the de Havilland Vampire is one of the first operational jet fighters in the west. Developed in Great Britain near the start of world war two, and entering service around a year after the war, it's a very rare sight these days. What makes it even more rare is unlike most (even early) jets, is that it was primarily constructed from wood.  On top of that, the model that was at the airport was a two seat trainer variant which (I believe) was likely one of only 6 aircraft that started life as a T.11 trainer and later was converted to an upgraded model, the T.55. Even more impressive is that there are only six airworthy models in the US at all. 

I was pretty amazed and happy that day, and was even able to get up and take a look at the very (let's say) cozy looking cockpit. The experience didn't end there, as we were able to hear the high pitched whine when they started the engine, and she took off not long afterwards. It was just a such a great sight and sound to behold and I just love seeing stuff like that.

Here's a more recent photo from 2019 showing what she looks like now. Photo Source.

One thing I can't help but think of every time I see or hear of the Vampire, is the excellent short story written by Frederick Forsythe, The shepherd. Also pertinent to the topic of late Halloween stories, I included a link to a free version you can read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment