Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The good idea fairy strikes again

Man, my memory is kinda bad, cause I can't remember where I first saw the Aviator Arms X-1 Bi-Axial Recoil Device. Possibly from their own youtube video announcing it some time ago. However, I watched the Military Arms Channel review of the product just a few days ago. 

I miss the 'ol pvtmurphy webcomic

The big idea behind it is to save space and make a much more compact weapon by eliminating the stock from the AR15. Gotta agree with MAC on this one, the first time a saw it, I couldn't help but think it was really flimsy and kinda pointless, considering the space saved by not having a stock is moot when firing anyways. Unless you just want to have a funny range toy, I don't see any real practical use for the dumb thing.  The big selling point is that it is cheap (about $400), but MAC offers some significantly better alternatives in their video. 

I felt like just making a few other points that was missed in MAC's video on it. First, as far as a drawback goes, it likely drastically affects the intended balance of the AR, making muzzle rise a problem when shooting. MAC also lists some great alternatives, but he missed some viable ones both on the low and high end of the spectrum. 

On the high end, The Z-M Weapons LR-300 is far closer to an AR and has a significant amount of parts compatibility, and you can even convert an AR into one with a simple kit. Unfortunately, the last iteration of it made by Para Ordnance was not known for being very well made and Allan Zitta (the inventor) is currently between companies at the moment, so they are hard to find and expensive to buy. Hopefully Mr. Zitta manages to find another manufacturer soon, because I would still love to buy one of those things.  

I mean, just look at that thing! Does it not look amazing?

Another alternative on the low end, is the range of folding stock adapters by Law Tactical. These may not be able to fire while folded, but accomplishes the goal of shortening the rifle while being cheaper and far more robust (IMO) than the X-1. If you are willing to remember to unfold the stock before use, it's an outright better option. Personally I don't really care for them, but I'll still say it's a great option for those looking for that feature. 

The Law tactical is still possibly the best workaround for those wanting to shorten up their normal AR. There are also plenty of other options out there that fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, but figured the ones I mentioned had the most merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment