Thursday, April 14, 2022

Meeting your heroes

Most people would say that's a bad idea, but funny enough, there are still a few good people out there. A few years ago, when my wife and I were first dating, she invited me to accompany her to the SCL ComicCon. I generally wasn't interested with that kind of think as I don't like large crowds, don't have a lot of money for fluff, don't really like most crossover fan-art, and I generally don't like most celebrities either.  

Apparently he even moved to my hometown. how about that, eh? Pic from here.

So imagine my surprise when I was wandering the booths at the Con, when I almost literally stumbled a little unassuming booth run by John Eaves!  I think I have mentioned John Eaves on here before, but in case you aren't familiar, he has worked on a huge slew of good movies as a conceptual artist and is likely most well known for his work on Star Trek. Perhaps most noteworthy was all the work he did on First Contact and in designing the Enterprise-E. He has also been doing work more recent JJ-Trek movies and the show Discovery as well, but I always felt his designs would be more at home in a more modern show that takes place after ST: Voyager (no offense, John). 

One of a couple of books he's got on the topic, this one being my favorite. 

I remember getting his books of behind the scenes artwork and info as a kid and absolutely loving them, as well as in later years enjoying a lot of the fun stuff he posted on his blog (which may or may not be still working) that has all sorts of cool insight into his work and the industry as a whole. 

I absolutely LOVED being able to meet and talk with him, as unlike a lot of people in show-biz, you can tell it's not just a job for this guy, but it's a passion and a love for not just the work, but for the fans. It was also awesome to geek out with him for a bit as he's also a big aviation enthusiast as well. I've met a few people I thought were cool at Conventions before, but I think this one took the cake and I honestly think that he's the only reason I'd ever go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment