Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Cult Films: Drop Dead Gorgeous

I remember ages ago, as a teenager I partially saw this one on late night TV and thought it was hilarious then, but didn't remember the title of it for the life of me. I had to search for it for a few years until I was finally able to find it and nab a copy for myself. You'd think that a movie about a beauty pageant in a small Minnesota town would be relegated to chick-flick territory, but this is just a movie that I can't help but love and I heartily recommend this one to just about everyone I know.

Back in the day, this movie was universally panned by just about everyone and completely flopped at the box office. However, compared to other teen comedies of the time, I say this one has aged far better than nearly all of them and has a much more enjoyable tone than just about all the rest. 

I think my opinion has been proven correct as it has undeniably gained a massive cult status in the years after it's release. Even Allison Janney (the actress who plays Loretta, and later went on to star in The West Wing and I, Tonya) says she is recognized and asked about this film more than any other of her roles she has done. The cast is also pretty star studded and includes not only Kirstie Alley, Kirsten Dunst, and Denise Richards (of course a 29 year old would be playing a teen) but it was the film debut of Amy Adams, has a small but effective role for Will Sasso, and has a cameo by Adam West. 

Lona Williams is the writer of the film and is most known for having written for the early seasons of The Simpsons (you know, back when it was funny and relevant), and she even has a gag-role playing one of the judges for the pageant who has absolutely no lines in the entire movie.  She was inspired to write the film as she actually was a beauty pageant contestant when growing up in a small town in Minnesota.  

The premise here is pretty simple, yet effective, so I'll just put the trailer here for you to decide, but I still just say to go and watch it, as it still deserves far more appreciation than it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment