Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Forgotten Films: Chronicle

This was certainly a film that caught me by surprise.  The advertising for this film when it came out was nothing but horrible and really presented the film far differently than it actually was. Consequently, I didn't really watch it until years after it had come out. 

It's a relatively low budget movie, and the concept is a pretty basic one that has seen a lot more usage recently. Basically, it's about a few teenagers that accidentally develop superpowers and how it affects their lives. I know that doesn't really sound compelling, and it does start off a little slow, but it's in the execution that this movie really shines. The characters are especially very well developed over the course of the movie and it really takes it in a direction that I wasn't really expecting that ends very well. The only other criticism I really level at it, is that the movie does attempt to (mostly) keep the perspective of one of the characters filming the events, which upon hindsight really feels like they were trying to ride that trend after Cloverfield made it popular again, so that didn't age too well in my opinion.

But the movie is pretty good and I would still like to recommend it, as it does have far more emotion and gritty plausibility to it than most modern superhero tales. 

No comments:

Post a Comment