Thursday, May 12, 2022

Wheelgats

Revolvers just were not really my thing for a long time, but I have to admit they are far better than modern guns for teaching and refreshing yourself on some of the essentials of shooting. That, and some of them actually look really good, but as with a lot of things I enjoy, I tend to have taste that my wallet just can't cash. There are really only a few revolvers that I think would be fun to have, one of which feels like it would be cheating. 

The Model 28 has a classic look to it.

The first would be a solid classic, the .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 28, also called the Highway Patrolman. Most of them seem to be of the short barrel variety (about 4in), but I would really only want the longer 6in barrel if I were to get one at all, as it just looks better. The only problem here is that it is hideously expensive.

The Model 610 on the other hand looks better with the short barrel.

As an alternative, the Smith & Wesson Model 610 in 10mm Auto is also a fun choice that I actually thinks looks a bit better in the shorter barrel style that would be cool. Just as you can shoot .38 Special out of a .357 mag to save on ammo, you can also shoot .40 S&W out of the Model 610 as well as 10mm, which is pretty neat. 

Thing is so cool it looks like it would be in the original Blade Runner.

Another one I would like is probably considered heresy by most wheel gun fans, as it's a total space-gat. The Smith & Wesson Model 327/R8/TRR-8 is an eight shot .357 magnum that also sports a lot of rail space on it for all the modern doo-dads, and I love the fact you get a couple extra shots in there. Another hideously expensive gun, but at least you literally get more bang for your buck. 

This Uberti repro is just gorgeous. Dunno if I want the short or long barrel, as both are good looking. 

Lastly, I've always liked the idea of going a little retro, and just grabbing a cartridge cylinder conversion to shoot modern .45 Long Colt loadings out of an old west type of revolver like a reproduction Remington Model 1858 by either Uberti or Pietta. My dad actually used to own one of these back in the day, but without the cylinder conversion, and used to load up and wax the cylinders himself and I have some fun memories of that. It's also nice that it's likely the most economical option on the list, too.

Despite all these being desirable, I think if I were to actually get a revolver, I'd still only buy one, so I'll have to make up my mind at some point. As just an added thought, I really would love an .45 ACP M1917 revolver as well, but they are just stupidly expensive for what you're getting, so fugheddaboutit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment