Thursday, May 19, 2022

Forgotten Films: House (1986)

House is a movie that isn't talked bout that much these days, and I really doubt it was talked about that much when it came out either, but it's worth checking out as a solid B-movie horror flick. 

Now, I'm pretty picky about my horror movies, and I personally cannot stand ones that just revolve around nothing but gore-fests and jump scares, or even the popular slasher flicks. I prefer my horror movies to have a sizable psychological element to them, and this one fits the bill.

The movie is paced a bit slower than most, but it builds to the ending. Its a bit of a twist on the standard haunted house idea in that the house has no dedicated spirits haunting it, but it preys upon and amplifies the deep fears and pains of it's occupants, in this case, a Vietnam Vet with deep regrets revolving around his son and his wartime experience. The house itself is really cool as well, and I wouldn't mind living in it, provided it's not supernatural as in the film. 

It does have it's issues, but overall the movie is pretty good, and I like to think (but it's not likely) that the movie's Vietnam antagonist was inspired by Stormtroopers of Death: 

No comments:

Post a Comment