Wednesday, December 8, 2021

more retro gaming

With the Battlefield franchise slipping further up it's own orifice by trying to be more like COD, I've been really enjoying my time replaying Battlefield 2 again. The bone stock game kinda shows it's age, but with mods, it's still a great time to be had. 

I've probably mentioned it here before, but my far and away my favorite mods for BF2 (in order this time) are:

MG3s and G36s everywhere. I love it.

Point of Existence 2: I can't praise this mod enough. The setting is very original with mostly the fights being between Germany and Ukraine. The mod is fantastically balanced, extremely well-polished, and stable for any mod along with excellent models and animations. Best BF2 mod by far.

Crazy vehicles galore in AIX.

Allied Intent Extended: Specifically built for Co-Op with friends and is insanely over the top fun. really powerful vehicles and weapons abound. Not quite as well polished, but still extremely fun with a plethora of maps; just be prepared to have to deal with nearly a dozen installers (worth it).

Great for those missing the BF Vietnam days but don't want the old crappy engine.

Eve of Destruction 2: Vietnam is back with this one. The vehicle play and maps are not overly well balanced (a common problem with BF2 mods), but the Vietnam setting and equipment is well done and still fun. No single player support, though from what I remember. 

The best part is that these mods all still work and there's even more big mods still being developed that you can check up on at ModDB. There's all sorts of stuff in the works that show some promise, like Alpha project, a Warhammer 40k mod, and one that restores it back to a WW2 setting. 

The only problem now is that all my joysticks are broken and I'll need a good one for the helicopter and jet action. It's the only way to fly. Pics all from ModDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment