Saturday, December 18, 2021

Why not a college degree?

Many people over the years (since I was a teenager) have told me something along the lines of, "Hey, Saint Grendel, if you love history so much, why don't you get a degree in it and get a job as a professor, teacher, or work in a museum?" then they would get upset with me when I tell them it's a worthless degree. Well, to argue my point for me, is someone with more qualifications than I:


I'm not a fan of the "adult entertainment" industry, but you can't accuse people that work in it as being anything other than hard working self-starters. Because I know I wouldn't want to deal with ANY of the crap they put up with when I clock into work. 

I mean, yeah it's funny, but in all seriousness, most museum workers don't make much, and most of them are actually volunteers. Even curators don't make that much money. Heck, I'm already making the same as the median income for the average museum curator in the US right now. All while having NO degree to speak of (not even high school). 

Other than that argument though, I sure as hell don't want to be a teacher, because I don't want to be a thinly veiled propagandist or babysitter (which is what most teachers are these days). That, and the easiest way to lose passion for something you love is to turn it into your job, especially when it's one you don't own. I'd rather develop a marketable skill that I don't mind, or one I mildly enjoy that makes me more money and just let my hobbies be my hobbies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment