Wednesday, December 1, 2021

On a rail

I think all young boys go through a phase in which they are crazy about trains at some point or another, and I was no exception. I'm not as crazy about them now, but what I would really like to do is take my wife's family to Jamestown and Sonora, California to ride the Sierra Railroad. 

It's got a great museum there, that has some interesting history tied to the gold rush and mines in the area (with the mines closed as recently as 1994). It's also the location for plenty of movies, which I mentioned on this blog before

However, what I really remember it for is the filming of a majority of Back to the Future III there. Totally not ashamed to admit it's the sole reason for me wanting to go back with the wife's family, despite the sets having burned down in a wildfire many years ago.  Thankfully, as a kid, I was able to see it before it being lost to time by the fire, but I still think it would be a really cool family trip to take, as we are all big fans of the trilogy.

Just a shame that it's not there anymore.

If we have time, I also stumbled across a fun interactive map of filming locations for the movie, that would be a fun trip to go on as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment