Saturday, January 29, 2022

All the missed SHOTs in the show

 For all the cool crap that is shown off at SHOT show every year, there's an equal (if not greater) amount of puzzling, odd, or outright dumb things shown off there too. Here's all the stuff I saw that was either confusing to me, had an indifferent reaction, or were just outright silly:

There seem to be a lot of people introducing (or-reintroducing) their own PCC/SMG type guns that really want to chase that HK MP5 (and clones) market, but to me offer no real advantage over it. I got no problem with competition, but these are kinda puzzling to me.

The first one is just WTF territory IMO. The YKMF-5 is just kind of silly, in that it's meant to just LOOK like an MP5. It uses MP5 mags (so there is no bolt hold open), and is straight blowback, so recoil is likely to be worse. It comes with no sights, and retails for nearly $1800, so you're better off just getting a PTR MP5 clone for cheaper that likely shoots far better (and sure as hell looks better). What market did they think they were going for? The more money than sense people? Same goes for the Dead Foot Arms MP5-like thing

Why make an MP5 competitor if it has literally no advantages over the MP5, not even price?

Another that's on the "but why?" scale of MP5 wannabes is the MDP-9. Now, don't get me wrong, it seems like a straight up high quality product. It's part of the concept that puzzles me. Why make a PCC/SMG type weapon if you are gonna use freaking Glock mags, unless the sale price is super cheap, like the AR PCCs? There are plenty of better alternatives out there (like CZ Scorpion 2 mags), but people keep doing it. That, and for this particular gun, you are again getting something that'll cost you a ridiculous amount (MSRP $2700), so I'd still rather straight up buy a freaking G36C or an actual HK SP5 for nearly the same price (or a Pistol AR for far, far cheaper). Same goes for the Czech CSV-9 Four Peaks is importing. Really cool gun, just stupid that I'm stuck with those Glock mags.

To continue on the same topic, the excellent company B&T has again released a new PCC/SMG, that being the SPC-9. It's another high quality gun (I mean, it's Swiss, of course it is), but the thing I just don't like about it is the same thing as the MPX or MP7. Why in the world do you use that same charging handle style from the AR? It's just an awful feature on an otherwise amazingly great gun. 

Another thing that was still pretty surprising (or at least WTF) in the world of rifles, was the announcement that the other competitor in the Army's NGSW program, the bullpup RM277, will also be offered for civilian sale soon. Gosh, that thing is ugly, and I'm still just not a fan of bullpup rifles at all, despite the advantages they offer. 

On a related note, I mentioned earlier that the RM277's competitor the SIG MCX SPEAR is also coming to the civilian market, but I only now found out the price. It's also going for the outrageous MSRP of nearly $8000; and that's for something that ultimately equates to nothing but a fancy AR upper, so I can't imagine the price the RM277 is going to go for. Freaking idiots. 

Just a big "I don't really care" from a lot of the stuff at this year's show, unfortunately.

I don't hate the 5.7mm cartridge, and I am kinda glad to see more people making new platforms for it, but as for buying one, I still just shrug my shoulders at it. So I guess the new PSA 5.7 Rock pistol, despite looking really good, even better than the kinda dumb Ruger 5.7 pistol, it gets just a big 'meh' response from me. That, and I don't exactly equate PSA with anything resembling "quality" after a few incidents experienced by myself and friends.

Then there is Fabrique Nationale re-releasing their semi auto M249S for the civilian market. Not only that, but they are also offering a para model as well.  I guess I'm just on the fence with this one too, as I love the idea of a belt-fed gun without a tax stamp, but being that it's not full auto just kinda takes all the fun out of it along with the very point of a belt-fed.

Another thing is all the Glock kits, clones, and custom Glock parts. Glock is a good gun, I just don't like 'em at all, so I just think "ho hum" whenever I see the ever increasing onslaught of those kind of products at SHOT, when they really don't do much than just offer a copy of the same ergonomics, takedown, trigger, etc. I didn't link to any specific examples, as there's just too many being announced/shown to even list them here.

Going back to FN Herstal, remember the really nice new Hi-Power they were re-releasing? Well, I finally got wind of the MSRP for those things and it's gonna be a whopping $1270-1370 for that effing dumb thing! I'd rather buy a freaking used Desert Eagle or anew  USP .45 Tactical, or a really nice rifle for that price! I was expecting it to be pricier than the other offerings out there, but jeez! So, screw those guys sideways at FN for making you pay for their name and not the gun.

Everyone's reaction when FN says they'll make the Hi-Power cost more than novelty and gucchi guns!

Although not really a big thing at SHOT show this year, the Springfield Saint Edge ATC was recently reviewed by the Military Arms Channel. Just a shame it appears to be a bit a of a disappointment, as I had high hopes for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment