Saturday, January 15, 2022

Speaking of odd gun news

Right after I post about odd gun stuff going on, the embargo for SHOT Show news seemed to lift for Springfield Armory's new product, the Springfield "Hellion" (the HS-Produkt VHS-2). Much like Springfield's other products that aren't 1911 handguns and M14 rifle clones, this is another re-branded Croatian gun they are importing to the American market.

Behold, the HS-Produkt VHS-2...um...I mean...the Springfield Hellion? Taken from the Forgotten Weapons site.

Now, I don't disparage the Croats, as they are a surprisingly adept country at firearms development and production. I do disparage Springfield Armory for trying to market the Croat guns as if they are American guns, which they blatantly aren't. If I were them, I'd stop with the re-branding of everything and just lean into the fact that they are foreign guns, but what do I know? After all, I'm just some guy.

Anyways, the Croatian VHS-2 (be kind, rewind) rifle is, in my mind, basically a bullpup version of an HK G36 rifle. Yes, there are significant differences in the internal components and other details (with no interchangeable parts other than the mag), but hear me out. The similarities are:

1. It's basically an AR-18 style short stroke gas piston system, like the G36.
2. The military version in Croatian service uses G36 magazines and supposedly HK had a hand in it's development, to help with the magazine integration.
3. The charging handle operates exactly like the G36 and is in the same position/configuration, as with it's carry handle and top rail.
4. The gun also uses the same symbols on it's selector lever as HK firearms.
5. The trigger is contained in a modular pack much like nearly all HK rifles and SMGs. 
6. The magwell can be easily swapped to to use AR style mags, much like the G36.
7. It was designed with the idea of using an integrated optic in one version of it's carry handle like the G36. 
The HK G36 (this one is a K model). I'd still kill to own just a few of these suckers. Taken from HK's USA website.

Again, I don't say this to disparage the Croats, but rather as a compliment, as I hold the HK G36 in high regard (despite the dumb controversies). However, the VHS admittedly has several improvements over many other bullpup and traditional rifles, as it can be configured to eject casings from either side very quickly, has adjustable length of pull (a rarity on bullpups), and has some actually good iron sights included. 

A pic illustrating the big advantage of bullpup designs, pic taken from Springfield's site. 

Perhaps the most impressive part of the whole thing to me, is that it seems like the rifle isn't neutered in any form or way from the military version. Other than the obligatory changes to prevent any full auto mode (necessary for import by law), the only other differences appear to be the Springfield company markings on the rifle, it has the AR-15 magwell included by default, has no integrated optic carry handle, and has a setting for a suppressor on the gas regulator instead of a shutoff setting for rifle grenades. 

Yeah, that's pretty much what you are getting, other than the grenade launcher and the integrated sight handle. From the HS-Produkt website.

Overall, it still suffers from some of the disadvantages of bullpups, namely a garbage trigger, and already long length of pull, and you still need to take it apart to change the case ejection. However, I would still dare to say it's the ONLY bullpup service rifle I would really be interested in trying out.  But...considering the incredible price it's going for (MSRP of around $2k), I'd likely just pay the extra $900 to buy a G36 from Tommy Built instead. 

That, and as much as I like the name, I don't think it lives up to the level of coolness established by the Judas Priest song (shame on Springfield for not using/licensing that song in every freaking marketing blurb imaginable).

Also, with SHOT show coming up, I'm sure I'll be offering a flood of more boomstick related content here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment