Friday, January 28, 2022

The ultimate SHOT pattern (for me anyways)

SHOT show is freaking huge, and a single person or company can't really cover all the things seen there. That being said, I do love the coverage offered by The Firearm Blog, In-Range, Brownells, and Forgotten Weapons. So here are all the things I loved most from the coverage of SHOT show 2022:

AKs are just great. Even better is when they are official. All images obviously ripped from TFB blog. 

First off, I can eat my own words about Kalashnikov USA, as they had basically a 5.56 AK-74M (called the KR-101) at the show and they plan on releasing a true 5.45 AK-74M before the end of the year, and you can guarantee I'll get one of them at some point, because AK:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/18/shot-2022-kalashnikov-usa-shows-off-kr-101/

Another cool thing is that the 'ol 44 AutoMag is being re-released and the company is not just shoveling out the same old broken gun, but they have been trying to implement significant improvements to increase reliability. I'm not really interested in getting one at all (until I have more money than sense), but it's nice to see they are trying to improve the old classic:

A small but neat thing from Magpul.

I've always said an AR15 is better for new shooters because it's so easy to use, but they are far more complicated to clean or disassemble beyond field stripping than most. So, a silly, little thing that makes dealing with ARs easier, is the Magpul AR ejection port cover:

Also, despite being commie Chinese, I do rather like Holosun, as they are both cheap, reliable, and durable for the price. So I am rather interested when they come out with solar-powered holographic pistol optics that are fully-enclosed/tube type form factor:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/18/shot-2022-new-solar-powered-holosun-pistol-red-dots/ 
Magpul X4. So cool, but likely to be hideously expensive, I assume. 

The Magpul X4 system, which is an optic mounting system that allows for a Heads Up Display to be used on a variety of optics. It's one of the few things I thought was super cutting edge at the show and I really think stuff like this is the future of firearms: 
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/18/shot-show-magpul-x-maztech-x4-system/

I think the only PCC/SMG type gun at the show I thought was kinda cool was the POF USA Phoenix. It's cool in that you have AR style fire controls (including bolt hold open), 35 round mags as standard, forward HK-style retractable charging handle, and all for an MSRP of under &1700. Kinda cool, but would still have preferred some kind of delayed blowback system instead of straight blowback:


Drum mag for the MP5? Sign me up! Looks dang good on it too.

Another thing from Magpul is all their MP5 stuff, but especially the new 50 round drum mag for it. So cool:

Also, Brownells FINALLY came out with their AR-18 style folding picatinny mounted stock for the BRN-180, and I'm glad to see that actually come to market after so long. I'm totally buying one at some point. 

Man that thing is pretty cool and it MSRP's for under $500? Wow.

Rock Island Armory is always selling great stuff for low prices and the crazy VRF series of shotguns do seem like a really good alternative to the hyper expensive 12 gauge AK/Saigas out there. Also, soon to be made in Cedar City Utah. 

Lastly, the other really interesting thing of the show is the Desert Tech AR lower specifically made to accommodate quad stack mags to make them more reliable.  Hooray for cool Utah companies.

Rock Island Armory's STK100

Another neat thing is RIA's STK100 that has an extremely high level of parts compatibility with the standard Glock. I generally hate the Glock; the crappy trigger, the terrible grip angle, and the awful takedown method. So, it's nice to see that this gun seems to solve a lot of my issues with it. It has a more 1911 style grip angle in an aluminum frame, and allows for drop in triggers. All for an MSRP of only $499. Nice.

Another handgun that caught my eye was the Alpha Foxtrot 15rd 9mm 1911-S15. Really neat that they manage to make a double stack compact 1911 that is slimmer than a regular single stack full size model. Pretty cool.

Honorable mentions:
These are things I thought were interesting or cool, but just didn't set me on fire for whatever reason:

No comments:

Post a Comment