Saturday, October 16, 2021

In where I oust myself as a religious kook

Okay, so I've been going on a number of rants recently, but I am a white, nerdy Mexican with glasses, so, isn't it expected?  Anyways, this one gets theological, so if you don't wanna deal with it, feel free to move along. For the rest of you staying, well once again:



So, a long time ago I decided I'm no longer beating around the bush.  I'm not going to be a flake when it comes to my faith or morals.  When I looked back at my early life, I realized that so much of my failures were due to being afraid of what other people thought of me as opposed to being bold or clear about where I actually stand. I also refuse the more common belief that because I may not be directly effected by an issue doesn't mean I cant have an educated opinion about it. Particularly on the topic of LGBTQALPHABETSOUP (because the damn acronym is changing all the time) issues. 

All those of that have a true belief in the Christian persuasion have (or should have) taken a look at their lives at some point and realized that they are flawed.  They look at themselves and see an imperfect being who is a sinner.  This is not something uncommon in the world, for as the prophets said, "are we not all sinners?"  When realizing this, we made the (perhaps unnatural) choice to follow the teachings of Christ and make the effort to try and lead a life more like his, or at least bend ourselves to god's will. 

In this quest, we inevitably fail. We fail often, because we are fallen, imperfect beings. We are only saved due to the grace of our Lord. Thankfully, he told us in the scriptures how we need to live and treat our fellow man. Unlike some other non-Christian religions, if you do not believe in this ideology, it still requires believers to love those who do not unconditionally.  The gospel as detailed in the scriptures often exhorts us to love your fellow man regardless of who he is or what he believes, whereas the popular attitude among the culture of the LGBT community seems to have become more rude, intrusive, intolerant, and frankly inappropriate over time.

Christianity in some form or another is not new.  It's been around for a couple thousand years (at least).  It's old enough, that it's influence in western society is undeniable and forms the basis for many of our values.  Unfortunately, in modern society, some think of it as an old fashioned ideology that holds us back from exploring our potential and oppresses the open minded. While at the same time, forcing us into unnatural and sometimes evil behavior.  This school of thought is not uncommon and to some extent is being more popularized every day.

The truth that was pointed out to me, is that yes, Christianity encourages us to also pursue lives of unnatural behavior.  It is not a natural tendency of mankind to forgive others of wrongdoing, to fear the judgement of God more than man, to abstain from sex until marriage, to help those in need without concern for yourself, and condemn sin instead of hailing it as 'bravery'. 

That last point is the point where we tend to butt heads with the rest of society.  We are commanded to love all men, but we are also commanded to be bold in declaring the gospel of Christ and condemning sin.  

For example, if you truly loved your fellow man, would you not help him if he stuck his hand in dangerous machinery?  Would you not try to warn him of the danger beforehand?  Would you just hold your tongue if you were never in the same situation yourself?  Or would you hail that man as brave when he willingly puts himself in irresponsible mortal danger due to poor decision making?  The answer to all of these is an emphatic NO.  Why then would you hail sinful acts or lifestyles as 'brave' or be supportive of those lifestyles? You can still love someone, care for them and yet still condemn actions that you know are not right. Another example, is that many states have legalized a variety of drugs, but I still view using certain substances without a medical need as wrong, and would want any friend or family member with an addiction to stop and try to help them to do so, and I certainly wouldn't encourage it or call it brave.   

Allow me to share an anecdote I may or may not have shared here before.  Some years ago, I knew of a nice young man who I worked with who is openly gay.  We often went to breakfast together with a few other friends we worked with.  I never brought up the subject of his orientation up once in conversation with him or anyone else I knew.  It is neither my place or business to insert myself in his personal business or to be contentions on such a personal subject. Especially when the Bible tells me I myself am just a sinner as well (because, let's face it: the Bible explicitly states homosexuality is a sin).

One morning he brought up the subject by stating there was going to be an organized protest at the capitol building in favor of legislation on gay marriage, and invited me to attend.  I tried to respectfully decline, but he took offense to the thought that I, as a friend wouldn't support him and his 'rights'.  I told him that I'm sorry he felt that way, but explained that if I truly believe in my religion, how can I openly proclaim the legalization of an activity I view as morally wrong?  He has since refused to associate with me despite me being willing to continue the friendship. I hold no ill will towards him, and wish him well and will always be willing to continue any friendship. This still saddened me, as there are plenty of other people who disagree with me on a variety of topics (including this one), and who are of different orientations, who I am still friends with. I will never be able to condone the normalization of something I think is morally wrong. 

Funny that people in support of this lifestyle are often shouting that's not a choice and that it's how they naturally are, when nature itself has been culling this trait for millions of years (naturally). 

Yet somehow, all these 'brave' people feel the need to vocally and vehemently condemn this viewpoint and label it as "homophobic" or "hate speech" or some other ridiculous label.  Never mind the fact that the word 'Phobia' is defined as an irrational fear of something, and cannot be applied to someone with a rational dislike of, or disagreement with something. 

I have had another situation detailed in the comments of this blog where another blogger disagreed with my position on a topic of transgenders and henceforth called me an asshole.  Well, I still hold no ill will against them either, and I still have them linked in the blogroll, nor have I taken any steps to intentionally insult them, yet I'm the one labeled as being the intolerant asshole for standing up for what I think is right.

The world had arrived to the point spoken of in the scriptures when "good will be called evil and evil will be called good" and I will not comply with that philosophy. I will never support the evil ideas that are so prominent and popular in this world now, and will condemn it. I will call it for what it is, and I will not apologize. Ever. If I am labelled 'evil' for this, then so be it, but I won't stop it. As I have said before I believe honesty is more important than lip service or even courtesy. 

After saying all this, I still want to be as respectful and friendly as possible to those I know and even those I don't. In that same vein, I don't think that being dishonest by not voicing your true position will help them, and neither will encouraging or supporting bad behavior. Despite any differences I have with anyone, I'd still want the best for them and offer to help them with as much as I can if they need it. If we all can't agree to giving each other a chance to do exactly that, well then that's when I guess you can sod off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment