Thursday, October 7, 2021

Why I will never trust "experts" unless I trust them personally

My sister in-law; love her her to death, but she chooses the oddest things to be headstrong about. She is a registered nurse as a consequence of her profession, will bring up health topics on occasion. Some time ago, my father in law was to undergo a surgery and she was worried about him getting sick and having to reschedule it. So, she insisted that everyone in the family get the annual flu vaccine, and was being quite insistent about it, as she is a healthcare professional. 

Now, I have no qualms about vaccines, but the annual flu shot is something I tend to skip for the reasons that it's never been particularly effective for me, as well as the fact that the strains they choose to vaccinate against is simply chosen by a (relatively) educated guess from recent trends. My wife also abstains from it because she tends to get quite sick after getting it, so we both were vocal bout not doing so then. 

Now, my sister wasn't visibly upset by it, but she did seem to bring it up more and more often after that point, and made a point about going to get it herself. The irony here being that she was the only one in the family to get the flu shot, and was subsequently the only one in the family to actually get the flu that year. 

I don't say this to denigrate her and her logic is fairly sound (other than relying on educated guesses). The point here, is that no matter how educated or experienced, humans are all fallible, we make mistakes. As well as just because there is a system in place doesn't make the conclusion set or more reliable.  Lastly, to not disregard your own judgement and education on anything just because "experts" say something different.  

No comments:

Post a Comment