Saturday, October 23, 2021

Boomers and their silly TV

 One of my biggest things I always try to work on is empathy. I like to think I've gotten better at it over the years, but sometimes I just hit a brick wall in my mind as I struggle to understand the why behind certain thoughts of others, like missing old school TV.

I delight in the death of old media. Oh, I love movies and shows, but I hate TV. Even back before the internet was all encompassing. Remember those days? You tried to find an excuse during the break to get up and do something cause the commercials were all an annoying waste of time, then you get up and someone shouts that the show is back on, but then you sit through another 5 min of recap of what they already did before the commercial break. 

Only watching what I like, when I like, where I like, with adblockers too? 

On top of that, it seems all the shows involving history or science (lookin' at you discovery and history channel) seem to love padding out the show with a bunch of terrible skits, bad humor, unnecessary drama, and/or are just so badly researched that they actually spread misinformation. I still laugh at the Mythbusters episode on Carlos Hathcocks's historically documented and confirmed shot (evidence still in a USMC museum) that they "busted" as a myth, then had to redo the episode later because they obviously never researched it at all. 

Or something like the local news, that does nothing other than fear-mongering about nonsensical crap on top of spreading misinformation all too often.  Add to that, the insane weather segment which is not only inaccurate, but takes 15-20 min to tell you what you can get a glance with a simple chart. 

I dumped having any kind of traditional TV/cable/satellite nearly 15 years ago and never looked back. I swear I can say my life is so much better without it. Say what you will about YouTube and the like, but at least you don't have to deal with all the same crap there (unless you really want to). So imagine my surprise when I hear earlier this week that some people I know still WANT to find a way to watch it. But why?

No comments:

Post a Comment