Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Operation Pandora Trigger

Some years ago, My wife and her sister both went to New York City together and were able to see a whole range of cool stuff. They went to the city library, 9/11 museum, Times Square, The Met, Statue of Liberty, saw a Broadway musical, and took the city bus tour that included a bunch of notable historical and filming locations. All in all, they both loved it and gushed about it for weeks. 

Many more years ago, when I bought my first car, I also went to New York City and hated every minute of it. Granted, it wasn't supposed to be a pleasure trip, but it doesn't help that I had to deal with worst aspects of the city. I had to argue with their DMV, experience the hellacious traffic, nosy cabbies, and filthy hobos, along with my own dumb uninformed mistakes for my first time there. My experience felt more like Escape From New York by comparison to my wife's.

Yeah, like that but without the fun parts. Wasn't able to shoot my way out, either.

However, one thing both my wife and I can both agree on about New York is that the food is absolutely incredible out there. It doesn't really matter what you get, it just ends up being the best you'll ever have of anything.  

So despite all the bad experiences, and the things I already hate about the place (all the people), I would still really love to go back sometime to see the fun stuff; well, as long as they drop their retarded covid restrictions already. Most touristy traps don't interest me, but even then, I have had few things I'd love to see.They are (not in order): 

First and foremost, gotta go by Hook & Ladder Company 8 Firehouse just to say I've been there. Not familiar with it? It's the Ghostbuster's office from the original (actually good) movies.

Next, there is the Plaza Hotel, because it's a fascinating building and it's staple of Home Alone 2. Not ashamed to admit that.

I'll absolutely be unable to miss going to Lovecraft. A restaurant completely revolving around the author's works sounds absolutely great. Normally, I don't give a crap about novelty restaurants, but this one certainly found my weak spot.

Something that could have so easily been made a political tool actually turned out to be a very reverent and respectful dedication to the victims and so I do want to visit the 9/11 Museum. As someone who remembers those events, I don't think I could escape paying tribute by not going there. 

This one's kind of a cheat since it's not actually in NYC, but rather in Calverton, NY. Grumman Memorial Park would be nothing short of a religious experience for me, and I would NOT be able to go to NY again without going here too.  

Such a dang pretty machine! I'd even be happy to steal one from Iran, if I could.

On a similar vein, the USS Intrepid is another must see if I go. Not only is it chock full of cool stuff I've never been able to see before, but it's home to the prototype F-14B Super Tomcat. Could never even imagine a trip to NYC without visiting the only cat I truly love (no apologies to our kitten at home).  

Lastly, but not least in this list is: The Met. People say you can stay in NYC a week and still not experience all this one place has to offer, and I would be happy to base an entire visit on just that. Granted, there are exhibits that would interest me more than others, but it's a history nerd's dream come true. Although, I'll admit that the primary reason I want to see the Egyptian exhibit is for purely nostalgic reasons, if you didn't guess from the title of the post.

I have shot countless terrorists through those big windows.

Another thing the wife and I agree on is taking time to also experience the back country of New Jersey and New York state. I spent years in Oregon, which known for being an incredibly green state, and it never held a candle to the beauty of New York and Jew Jersey back roads. Would totally spend some time in like an air B&B out in the country to enjoy the scenery for a day or two; maybe even stop by Palmyra just because we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment