Saturday, October 30, 2021

Finally watched it

With everyone ranting and raving about Squid Game, I finally took the time to watch it the past couple of days. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. I tend to be more than a little bit of a contrarian when it comes to popular shows, as in my opinion they tend to suck.  I never cared for Harry Potter when growing up, and more recently, I never really thought Game of Thrones was all that good either (yes, even before the last season). So color me impressed when I really enjoyed a Netflix original of all things, since they are known to be mostly crap as well. Thanks to the wife for getting me to watch it. 

But yeah, it's just not something you see everyday in that it has strong characters that you actually care about, great dynamics between said characters, plenty of intrigue as the story unfolds, some fun twists near the end, and an overall great story. It's only 9 episodes long, but feels much shorter than that just because the pacing is great. It's obvious the story was inspired more than a bit by Battle Royale, but that's a good thing as that's another movie I like. 

The wife hasn't seen this one, so we'll have to watch this one over the weekend, too.

I agree with most people that the story in Squid Game doesn't really need a sequel, but if they do, it could be pretty good as long as the same people are making/writing it. If you have a chance to watch it, the hype is legit, give it a try. Although, I would personally recommend to watch it with subtitles instead of the English version, as the dub has some pretty bad performances from some of the voice actors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment