Wednesday, October 27, 2021

A conundrum of sorts for shells

So, a few years back I had to part with my Benelli M3 shotgun. Strangely, I don't really miss that gun, unlike some of the other's I've had to sell in the past (I miss my AK so much!).  Fast forward to today, and I've really been hankering for another 12 gauge shotgun at some point in the future, perhaps a few months from now. I don't want to blow off a ton of money so I want to just get one, but just can't seem to make up my mind on which one to get yet. 

Unlike the rest of the gun world, shotgun prices haven't been fluctuating as much, so there are lots of good contenders on the list. Now, there's plenty of great scattergats I like, so not being on this list ain't an indictment, I just need to narrow my down my choices to one. First, the pump actions: 

Totally want one configured like the Ohio ANG models, but the regular hardwood model here will suffice.

Remington 870 ($400-700) - Pros: looks good, really cheap, well built, highly customizeable, low recoil due to weight. Cons: dang heavy for their size, some parts are very expensive, and may need a tube extension depending on the model.

Retrograde. Just look at that gorgeous thing!

Mossberg 590 ($500-800)  - Pros: relatively cheap, lightweight, well built, also with a high availability of aftermarket parts and accessories. The Retrograde model is insanely cool. Cons: almost a bit too light with sharp recoil and the pump grips tend to be a bit fragile in my experience. Really don't like the stocks on most of the pistol grip models, either. 

So cool, but so dang pricey.

Ithica 37 ($1200) - Pros: uniqueness/cool factor, lightweight, and also very durable/reliable. Cons: Pretty darn pricey for a pump action and you can't do those cool quick one shot reloads since they feed from the same place they eject. Have I mentioned it's really pricey?

Then, there are the Semi Auto options (which in general are far more expensive):

I would only want the pistol grip model of this one. 

Beretta 1301 ($1100) - Pros: nice stock with a pistol grip, when most other have really crappy ones. said to be the best semi on the market now. Cons: again, the price, and not much aftermarket parts. Never shot one before, so I don't know how they handle, but has had glowing reviews everywhere. 

Oh so pretty and it does good work, too.

Benelli M2 ($900-1300) - Pros: All the pros of an M3 and M4 with almost none of the drawbacks. Reliable, customizeable, pretty, and lighter than an M3. I love the way they handle and shoot. Cons: Again with the prices, dangit...and it may need a tube extension as well. 

Really want to get some trigger time on this one.

Stoeger M3000 ($670) - Pros: very inexpensive for a semiauto, has great sights, good capacity. Cons: Kinda the wildcard in the group in that it is the only one on this list other than the Beretta that I haven't shot before. But, like the Beretta, it comes highly recommended.

This one is just hard to take seriously...unless you're on the wrong end.

KS-12T ($900-1000) - Pros: It's an AK shotgun! Cons: It's an AK shotgun! Okay, okay. It's very high capacity, and its reload times cannot be beat since it's mag fed.  However, it is pricey, parts and good mags can be scarce, and it's dang heavy. Optic mounting is annoying and requires aftermarket parts, and the gun may also need to be worked on out of the box to work right. 

Lastly, there is the honorable mention that I'm still seriously considering:

Stoeger side by side double barrel Coach Gun ($500-600) - Pros: faster reload than even the AK, even bigger cool factor, not as impractical as you'd think for self defense. Cons: Not as cheap as you think it would/should be, heavy recoil, it's still a lot longer than the gun I want it to be without going through a bunch of bureaucratic bullcrap and taxes. 

Of course, if it wasn't for all those freaking retarded gun laws we have, I could tell you there's really only one shotgun I actually want:


No comments:

Post a Comment